Questions and Answers about Islam Vol. 1 and 2 have been prepared to provide first-hand information from one of the most leading Islamic scholars of our time. In this book, Fethullah Gülen, sensitive to the real questions people have - the questions given rise to by the modern age - has tried, through patient argument, to answer people's doubts and questions.
Why did God Create Humans Different?
God created each one of your cells, as well as those of all other animate and inanimate parts of creation, and gave us our human nature. He has given us everything; we have given Him nothing. So how can you complain or accuse Him of being unjust? Injustice comes from not giving what is due. But we are not "due" anything, for since we have given Him nothing it is impossible for Him to owe us anything.
God, the All-Mighty, created each of us out of nothing. Moreover, He created us human, when He could have created us as something else or not at all. If you observe and investigate your surroundings, you can see many creations that are different from you. Whether they are inferior or superior to you is a matter of your own judgment.
Another aspect is the Providence of God. God may deprive individuals of something they value in order to grant them a manifold return in the Hereafter. In this way, God makes people feel their need, powerlessness, and poverty. This causes them to turn to Him with a greater sincerity and a fuller heart, thereby becoming worthier of His Blessing and Favor. Thus your apparent loss is really a gain. This is comparable to martyrdom, which God rewards with Paradise. Martyrs attain such a rank on the Day of Judgment that even the most righteous and sincere long for it and wish that they had been martyred. What such people receive in eternity is infinitely greater and more valuable than what they lose here.
Although some disadvantaged or disabled people may blame God for their disabilities, and thereby stray from or abandon their faith, many more are strengthened in their faith. It is completely mistaken to use an exaggerated—indeed false—sympathy with the disabled as a pretext for unbelief. It is far better—even essential—that an ardent yearning for eternal life be aroused in such people, for then they can become worthy of an immense reward in the Hereafter.
If the disabilities of some lead others who enjoy good health to recognize that they have much to be thankful for and to improve themselves, their humanity, and their closeness to God, the Wisdom in Divine Providence is confirmed and, to the degree possible, understood.
Topics Covered in Volume 1 of the book are as follows:
- Does God Exist?
- Who Created God?
- Who is God? Why Can't We See Him?
- Why did God Create the Universe?
- Since God Knows What We Will Do, Why Does He Send Us Here?
- The Qur'an Says: There is No Compulsion in Religion (2:256)
- What Does This Mean?
- What is the Point of Worship, and Why Does it Have to Be Done in a Certain Way?
- What is the Primordial Covenant?(Qalu Bala)
- What Does the Islamic Concept of Fitra (Primordial Nature) Mean?
- What is Guidance, and Can We Guide Others?
- What is the Purpose of Spiritual Tension?
- Will Religion, Supposedly Developed by "Primitive" People to Explain the Unknown, Eventually Become Unnecessary?
- Submission, Sense, and Reason
- Can Islam Solve Every Problem?
- Why does Islam Allow Slavery?
- Did Prophet Muhammad Write the Qur'an?
- Why Was the Qur'an Revealed Over A Period of 23 Years?
- Why Does the Qur'an Open With Iqra' (Recite, Read)?
- Why Does the Qur'an Not Discuss Scientific Issues That Concern Us Today?
- When Modern Science Agrees With the Qur'an
- What is the Role of Prophethood and of Prophets?
- How Many Prophets Were There? Were They All From Arabia?
- Was Muhammad's Mission Limited and Temporary?
- Why Was the Prophet Polygamous?
- What Satan is and Why He Was Created?
- What About Involuntary Thoughts and Fancies?
- How to Keep Free of Satanic Suggestions?
- Why Does Satan Insist on His Unbelief?
- Can We Choose Our Actions?
- What Happens to People Born and Living in Non-Islamic Countries?
- Why Are There Fortunate and Unfortunate People?
- Why Are Some People Created "More Equal" Than Others?
- Are the Manner And Time of Death Predetermined?
- Why Are Whole Nations no Longer Punished?
- What is Death?
- What About the Angel of Death?
- What Do We Feel At the Time of Death?
- Should We Fear Death?
- The Happens to the Spirit in the Intermediate World?
- Why Does One Creature's Life Depend on the Death of Another?
- Can Our Intention Save Us?
- What is the Sunna's Role Today?
- Why is Atheism So Widespread?
- What is Jihad?
- Are Muslims Guilty of Imperialism?
- Is Reincarnation Compatible With Islam?